- Voted "Funniest Person In America" in 1982.
- "Best Female Club Standup," Comedy Awards 1991.
- Sister of Vance DeGeneres (guest appearance on "Ellen" (1994) as host of bookchat show). Vance also played bass in 80s rock group "House of Schock" and was "Mr. Hands" in "Saturday Night Live" (1975)'s "Mr. Bill" short films.
- Named "Entertainer of the Year" by Entertainment Weekly 26 December 1997/2 January 1998, issues 411/412.
- Spoke at the University of Massachusetts at Amherst. Pointed out that many film plots and images in Hollywood are "heterosexist," meaning that the filmmakers allow heterosexual characters to dominate the screen. She would like to see actors and actresses portray more gay and lesbian couples. 
- Worked as a paralegal before becoming a comedienne.
- Has two dogs named Bootsie and Muffin.
- When Ellen came out as a lesbian on her show in April 1997, ABC's affiliate in Birmingham, Alabama refused to air the landmark episode. Some of the show's sponsors withdrew their advertisements, one of which was Chrysler.
- Was initially reluctant to do a love scene with Sharon Stone in If These Walls Could Talk 2 (2000) (TV), but Ellen's then-girlfriend Anne Heche, who was directing this particular segment of the film, encouraged her to do it. Ellen eventually gave in.
- Split with partner Anne Heche after being together for 3 1/2 years. [August 2000]
- In 1999, intended to marry Anne Heche if Vermont's plans to legalize gay marriages go through. By August 2000, she had split with Heche after being together for 3 1/2 years.
- Her last name is pronounced "duh-generous".
- Used to sell vacuum cleaners before she was discovered.
- Has written two books, "My Point... And I Do Have One", a New York Times bestseller for six months, and "The Funny Thing Is...", also a New York Times bestseller.
- Was originally offered Sandra Bullock's role in _Speed (1994)_ .
- Daughter of Betty DeGeneres.
- Ended her four-year relationship with photographer-director Alexandra Hedison. [December 2004]
- Spoofed on "MadTV" by comedian Nicole Parker.
- The first female comedian invited over to the couch to chat with Johnny Carson.
- Is of French (paternal grandfather), Irish, English and German descent.
- Was the first female stand-up guest to be called to the 'hot seat' on her first guest appearance on Late Night with Johnny Carson
- Graduated from Atlanta High School in Atlanta, Texas, in 1976.
Photos of Ellen Degeneres are available at FemaleStars.com.
They currently feature over 65,000 Nude Pics, Biographies, Video Clips,
Articles, and Movie Reviews of famous stars.