- Her last name "Potente" (pronounced Poe-ten-teh) means "powerful" in Italian, Spanish and Portuguese.
- Education: Otto Falckenberg School, Munich; Lee Strasberg Theatre Institute, New York.
- Her father is a teacher.
- Graduated from high-school (German Gymnasium) in 1994.
- Says she was discovered as an actress in a public restroom. She was in a bar when she noticed she was constantly stared at by some woman. She decided to leave but went to the restroom before. The woman followed her and again stared at her through the mirror. Suddenly she asked "How would you describe yourself in one sentence?". Turns out she was a casting agent.
- Has a brother who is three years younger and was very sick when he was born. She says she always was very jealous on the way he was cosseted and that was why she often behaved like a clown and arranged performances to get more attention, and that this was why she decided to become an actress.
- Tom Tykwer wrote Lola rennt (1998) specifically for her, with the intention of casting her as Lola.
- In spring 2002, she broke up with longtime boyfriend Tom Tykwer.
- Knows how to fence.
- Disliked the strict fitness regimen and diet that were required for The Bourne Identity (2002).
- Has occasionally shaved off her hair after filming movies because she has wanted time to get her "real" hair back (as it is dyed or bleached so often for roles).
- Speaks fluent French, English and German.
- Plays the violin and the flute.
- Number 8 in 'Neon' Magazine's list of 100 most important young Germans. (Issue 1, September 2003)
- 1998: Named as one of European films 'Shooting Stars' by European Film Promotion.
- 1/16th Italian by descent. Her great-great-grandfather was an Italian roof-tiler, who stayed in Germany.
- Shares birthday with Danny Glover, Terence Stamp and John Leguizamo.
- German citizenship.
- Member of jury at the Berlin International Film Festival in 2005
- Was director for the short movie Der die Tollkirsche ausgräbt (2006) (German title) for the first time 2005. She also wrote the script.
- Wrote her first book "Los Angeles - Berlin. One Year." together with her good friend, the actor Max Urlacher 2005.
- She is Sicilian German.
Photos of Franka Potente are available at FemaleStars.com.
They currently feature over 65,000 Nude Pics, Biographies, Video Clips,
Articles, and Movie Reviews of famous stars.