- Cancelled 14 concert appearances after being hospitalized for additional surgery on her hips. [May 2000]
- Singer/actress/dancer. Daughter of Vincente Minnelli and Judy Garland.
- Less than 3 years old when she debuted on screen, in In the Good Old Summertime (1949), in which her mother just happened to star.
- Half-sister of singer Lorna Luft.
- Frequently attended legendary New York disco Studio 54
- Half-sister of Joey Luft.
- Has had 2 hip replacement surgeries and 3 knee surgeries.
- Says her mother gave her a sense of humor.
- Sees a psychiatrist and attends AA (as of December 1999).
- Sought treatment at the Betty Ford Center when she was 35.
- Had vocal surgery in 1997, after which she began watching her father's movies. This led to the Broadway show which she starred in, Minnelli on Minnelli.
- Daughter-in-law of Jack Haley.
- Niece of Mary Jane Gumm and Virginia Gumm.
- Is the only child of two Oscar winners (Judy Garland and Vincente Minnelli) to win an Oscar herself.
- Winner of the 1999 Board of Directors MAC Award.
- Half-sister, Christiana Nina Minnelli, born 1955.
- At her marriage to David Gest, Elizabeth Taylor and Marisa Berenson were co-matrons of honor, while Michael Jackson and Tito Jackson were co-best men.
- Her ex-husband, David Gest, is an event planner.
- Her parents named her after Ira Gershwin's song "Liza (All the Clouds'll Roll Away)"
- In 1990, Liza Minnelli received the Grammy Legend Award, making her one of the few artists who have won entertainment's top four awards - the Oscar, the Tony, The Emmy and the Grammy.
- Hit #104 on the Billboard Singles Charts in 1977 with "Theme from New York, New York" (United Art. 1014)
- Was briefly managed by Kiss bass guitarist 'Gene Simmons in the 1980s
- 25 May 2003 - Broke her knee while preparing for a concert with Luciano Pavarotti in Bologna, Italy.
- Admitted to a Fort Lauderdale hospital where she was treated for viral encephalitis. [19 October 2000]
- Her father, Vincente Minnelli, later married Georgette Magnani, mother of her step-sister Christiana Nina Minnelli.
- Half-sister Christiane Minelli Magnani moved to Mexico a long time ago. There she got married and has children. She writes books and has TV programs.
- 2004 - Made up with half-sister Lorna Luft.
- When she was young she befriended Marilyn Monroe.
- In 1973 she became the seventh person to win the Triple Crown of Acting: Tony for Flora, the Red Menace (1965) and the Act (1977); Oscar, Best Actress for Cabaret (1972); and Emmy in 1973 for Liza with a Z!
- Her mother, Judy Garland, and former father-in-law, Jack Haley, starred together in The Wizard of Oz (1939).
- On September 30, 1991, she received a Star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. She was honored for her career in the Live Theatre. Her star is located at 7000 Hollywood Blvd.
- Has won three Tony Awards, two as Best Actress (Musical), for 1965's "Flora, the Red Menace" and 1978's "The Act," and, in 1974, a Special Tony Award "for adding lustre to the Broadway theatre season." She was also nominated as Best Actress (Musical) in 1984 for "The Rink," but lost that award to her co-star, Chita Rivera.
- One of only three actresses, along with Faye Dunaway and Halle Berry, to win both the Academy Award for Best Actress and the Razzie Award for Worst Actress (Dunaway shared her award with Bo Derek).
- Is portrayed by Jane Krakowski in Simply Halston (2007) and by several actresses in Life with Judy Garland: Me and My Shadows (2001) (TV).
- In 1980, she (co-presenter) accepted the Oscar for "Best Actor in a Supporting Role" on behalf of Melvyn Douglas, who wasn't present at the awards ceremony.
- She and her mother, Judy Garland, were the first Oscar-nominated mother-daughter couple.
- Is mentioned in The School of Rock (2003) as a musical inspiration.
- Her mother Judy Garland was pregnant with her while filming her minor role in Till the Clouds Roll By (1946). In order to hide her pregnant stomach she was hidden behind stacks of dishes while singing "Look For The Silver Lining".
- God-daughter of Kay Thompson.
- Liza Minnelli was a fan of the TV show La Femme Nikita, so much so that in 1997, before Peta Wilson's first TV interview ever on "The Rosie O'Donnell Show" (1996), Liza secretly called for Peta's Limo to go to her home so she could meet her and give her advice on what to say. Peta Wilson later confirmed this rumor during the interview.
- Godparents were Ira Gershwin and Kay Thompson.
- Has Italian Ancestry
- Half aunt of Vanessa and Jesse Richards
- In the early 1980s during pre-production for a film version of 'Evita', director Ken Russell auditioned her for the part. Russell was so impressed that he refused to do the film without her. He was promptly fired by producer Robert Stigwood and the film lay dormant for over 10 years until the Madonna version came out in 1996.
- Is portrayed by Donna Coney Island in Ghostlight (2003)
- Measurements in 1980: 33C - 28 - 31
- Adopted her only child, a three-year-old daughter named Serena, with then-husband David Gest in early 2003
- Because Liza constantly traveled with her mother, she spent most of her childhood in hotels. She was the inspiration for the character of Eloise who grew up in the Plaza Hotel. The books were written by Liza's godmother, Kay Thompson.
Photos of Liza Minelli are available at FemaleStars.com.
They currently feature over 65,000 Nude Pics, Biographies, Video Clips,
Articles, and Movie Reviews of famous stars.