- Nominated for a Tony Award for her portrayal of Julie LaVerne in "Show Boat".
- Formerly married to a NYC social worker.
- Has taught Master acting classes at Centenary College, where she serves as Adjunct Professor in the Theater Arts department.
- Often portraying women with tragic auras, she played the late Billie Holliday in the off-Broadway hit show, "Lady Day at the Emerson's Bar and Grill", for which she received a nomination for a Drama Desk award. She also played the equally bittersweet role of 'Julie' in "Show Boat" in 1983 for the renowned Houston Grand Opera, becoming the first African American cast in the role in the US. In 1994 she reprieved the role for famed Broadway director, Harold Prince. Her first film role was the drug-addicted Supreme's-like lead singer in Sparkle in 1976.
- Initially appeared on Broadway in the musical "The First" playing Mrs. Jackie Robinson.
- Once married to a social worker.
- Recorded a pop album "Natural Love" in 1992.
- She was nominated for two Image Awards, but didn't win.
- She was ranked in People Magazine's "50 Most Beautiful People in the World" in 1995.
- Was the first black actress to play Julie in a major American stage production of "Show Boat".
- Father is of African-American; mother is of European descent.
- Began career as a recording artist in Detroit as a child music prodigy. signed with the Detroit-based M-S label and put out a record which became a regional hit at fourteen years old. Released an album, Lonette McKee, on the Sussex label with the same producers, Mike Theodore and Dennis Coffey in 1974.
- Sister of Kathrine McKee.
- She is an avid animal lover with a particular ability to intuit and communicate with birds. Lonette loves all animals and has a profound respect and love for all nature.
- Was nominated for a 1983 Tony Award as Best Actress (Musical) for her portrayal of Julie LaVerne in a revival of "Show Boat".
Photos of Lonette McKee are available at FemaleStars.com.
They currently feature over 65,000 Nude Pics, Biographies, Video Clips,
Articles, and Movie Reviews of famous stars.