- Named after Shirley Temple.
- Led a series of weekend-long "Higher Self Seminars" in the late '80s teaching people about her views on many aspects of New Age practices and techniques.
- Attended Washington-Lee H.S. in Arlington, VA.
- Sister of Warren Beatty.
- Mother of Sachi Parker.
- A frequent visitor to Houston, Texas, where she starred in Terms of Endearment (1983) and The Evening Star (1996), at each visit she goes to Tony's Restaurant where she orders a complete souffle, just for herself.
- Born at 3:57 PM EST
- Sister-in-law of actress Annette Bening.
- Measurements: 34B-24-34
- Is a horse lover.
- Turned down the role of Diane Freeling in Poltergeist (1982) to play the Oscar-winning role of Aurora Greenway in _Terms of Endearment (1983)_ .
- Her childhood dinner for many years consisted of tabasco and saltine crackers (which often resulted in bad dreams--her missing the bus to ballet class).
- Took ballet as a child and always played the boys' role due to being the tallest in her class.
- As of 2004, she is the only actress to win a Golden Globe for Best Actress (Drama) without getting an Oscar nomination for the same performance (for Madame Sousatzka (1988)).
- Right before a performance of Cinderella with the Washington School of Ballet (she was dancing the role of the Fairy Godmother), she was warming up backstage when she broke her ankle. Instead of bowing out, she simply tied the ribbon on her toe shoes tighter and danced the role through. After the show was over, she called for an ambulance.
- Was close friends with the members of the Rat Pack. She starred with all of them in Ocean's Eleven (1960). Other works with Rat Pack members include: Some Came Running (1958), Cannonball Run II (1984) and Can-Can (1960).
- Member of the jury at the Cannes Film Festival in 1967
- Close friends with actress Julie Christie, who lived with her brother Warren Beatty for over a decade
- Columbia originally wanted to cast her as Fanny Brice in _Funny Girl (1968)_ , however Ray Stark who produced the Broadway show and was Brice's son-in-law, insisted on `Barbra Streisand' repeating her Broadway role.
- Her performance as Aurora Greenway in "Terms of Endearment" (1983) is ranked #81 on Premiere Magazine's 100 Greatest Movie Characters of All Time.
Photos of Shirley McLaine are available at FemaleStars.com.
They currently feature over 65,000 Nude Pics, Biographies, Video Clips,
Articles, and Movie Reviews of famous stars.