- As a child, she also had the nickname, "Toothpick".
- 17 September 1999 - Filed a lawsuit against 76 websites for using "fraudulent photographs" of her on adult sites.
- Mother of Carlo Ponti Jr. and Edoardo Ponti
- She may have been the voluptuous sex goddess as an adult, but as a skinny child she was nicknamed 'The Stick'
- Chosen by People magazine as one of the 50 Most Beautiful People in the world. 
- She had her marriage annulled to save Carlo Ponti from bigamy charges in Italy.
- She served 18 days in prison in Italy in 1982 for tax evasion.
- Born at 2:10pm-CET
- Chosen by Empire magazine as one of the 100 Sexiest Stars in film history (#25). 
- Derives great pleasure from rolling her bare feet over a wooden rolling pin while watching TV.
- She didn't get along with Marlon Brando during the shooting of A Countess from Hong Kong (1967), especially after the day they were doing a love scene and he commented, "Did you know you have hairs up your nostrils?".
- She performed two duets with Peter Sellers which were major hits in the UK pop chart. 'Goodness Gracious Me' was released in 1960 and reached four and 'Bangers and Mash' made it to the top 20 in 1961.
- Carlo Ponti obtains a Mexican divorce from his first wife and marries Sophia by proxy while she was in Hollywood filming Houseboat (1958) - and dating co-star Cary Grant. [17 September 1957]
- While filming Boy on a Dolphin (1957), Sophia was required to walk in a trench in order to give audiences the impression that her diminutive co-star, Alan Ladd, was taller than she.
- Her sister was married to dictator Benito Mussolini's son, Romano.
- Suffered from stage fright and, therefore, never appeared in a theatrical production.
- Measurements: 38C-24-38 (self-described - 1955, and from Edith Head- 1957), 36D-24-37 3/4 (at age 50 - 1985) (Source: Celebrity Sleuth magazine)
- Had 2 miscarriages prior to her first born son Carlo. Because of these complications, she had to take complete bedrest throughout her first and second successful pregnancies.
- Her mother won an all-Italy Greta Garbo lookalike contest run by MGM in 1932; but, being only 17 years old, her mother wouldn't allow her to pursue her Hollywood dream. Soon after, she became pregnant with Sofia.
- Her adopted surname is a slight variation of "Toren" after the Swedish actress Märta Torén.
- Her mother named her after her paternal grandmother, so when Sofia's father abandoned her, her maternal grandmother began calling her 'Lella'.
- Won a Grammy award in 2004 for Best Spoken Word Album for Children for her work in "Prokofiev: Peter and the Wolf/Beintus" along with former US President Bill Clinton and former Soviet Union President Mikhail Gorbachev.
- Was named #21 Actress, The American Film Institutes 50 Greatest Screen Legends
- She is often called, the "Italian Marilyn Monroe".
- At times, male actors have been hesitant to appear with her, due to the fact that she stands nearly 5' 9" and wears towering heels and tall hair that can make her look over 6 feet tall.
- Portrays herself and her mother in Sophia Loren: Her Own Story (1980) (TV)
- Her "Best Actress" Academy Award was the first Oscar ever given for a performance in a "foreign-language" film.
- Received a honorary citizenship in her hometown of Pozzouli, Italy on June 22, 2005.
- President of the jury at the Cannes Film Festival in 1966
- Is portrayed by Sonia Aquino in The Life and Death of Peter Sellers (2004)
- One of eight women, also among them Susan Sarandon and author Isabel Allende, carrying the Olympic flag at the 2006 Winter Olympic Games' opening ceremony in Turin (10 February 2006).
- She and Marcello Mastroianni made 13 movies together: Bella mugnaia, La (1955), Fatto di sangue fra due uomini per causa di una vedova - si sospettano moventi politici (1978), Fortuna di essere donna, La (1956), Giornata particolare, Una (1977), Girasoli, I (1970), Ieri, oggi, domani (1963), Matrimonio all'italiana (1964), Moglie del prete, La (1971), Peccato che sia una canaglia (1954), Prêt-à-Porter (1994), Pupa del gangster, La (1975), Questi fantasmi (1968) and Tempi nostri (1954).
Photos of Sophia Loren are available at FemaleStars.com.
They currently feature over 65,000 Nude Pics, Biographies, Video Clips,
Articles, and Movie Reviews of famous stars.